9 August 2009 15 Comments

Could you do an Ironman?

(updated March 2016)

Yes, of course you could.

If life were that simple then I suspect many more people than the 100,000 plus people

15 Responses to “Could you do an Ironman?”

1. redbikes 9 August 2009 at 1:12 pm #

Highly inspiring. I think I might try for a half iron man next year. Yep, i’m happy to be just half a man!

2. John Sutton 9 August 2009 at 1:22 pm #

Good place to start. Checkout Ironman UK 70.3 (Wimbleball, Somerset) in June. Super tough bike course. The Vitruvian in early Sepember is a much faster course and well organised (Rutland Water) but enter early as it fills up. The Beaver triathlon (based around Belvoir castle) has a great reputation, although I’ve not done it. Lastly the Bala Middle Distance is also on an excellent course (tough run). Let me know which one you put down for!

3. Simon Lewis 9 August 2009 at 10:29 pm #

Thanks John. Excellent article. I am really seriously considering an iron man either next year or 2011. Having done marathons and sportives, I know I have it in me. I just have to learn to swim properly. I can do a length without stopping but not well. Would you suggest lessons? Just not sure where to begin.

4. Swim Coach Finder 10 August 2009 at 3:28 am #

Great blog piece. Another tip would be if you swim more efficient, you will go faster and have more energy later in the race for the bike and run.

5. John Sutton 10 August 2009 at 9:12 am #

@Simon I never had swimming lessons and just built up my swimming over time trying ti improve efficiency by reading articles etc. However, in hindsight I really wish I’d started out properly and got lessons. Swim Coach Finder is definitely right, if you have a really efficient stroke, you will save energy for later in the race – see the lessons I learned from my Ironman in “How did my race plan work out?”

6. austinslide 10 August 2009 at 10:07 am #

Excellent blog John. Reassures me all the more that I can do it next year.

7. David Williams 16 August 2009 at 9:08 pm #

hi john, just thought l would say thanks for the “just ridden bike course” blog you did before the ironman, l live a long way from bolton and was unable to ride course,l finished in 13 hr 59 min, and had great day, cheers dw

8. John Sutton 17 August 2009 at 8:48 am #

No problem, David. Glad it was useful. Well done on finishing – did you sprint to sneak in under 14 hours? 🙂

9. Paul Goddard 22 September 2009 at 7:41 pm #

Hello again John, couldn’t help but hi-jack your forum again. Once again another honest and inspiring account. Just thought I’d put my experience in as this is a forum I would point any aspiring IM to. Let me take you back to 2 August 2008. I had had my bike, a Scott Speedster S60

10. John Sutton 22 September 2009 at 7:46 pm #

Hi Paul, hijack to your heart’s content! I agree completely with you – Ironman is all in the mind. I found it tough enough to do the run with no mile markers, having no watch for the entire event is the stuff of Ironman nightmares!

11. Buck 22 July 2011 at 11:03 pm #

Again, thanks. My first ‘standard’ (half Ironman) distance triathlon this year was in Cornwall. My first open water swim. In the sea. I wish I’d have read this first.
    I panicked, waves in my face, took on lots of water and really thought I was going to drown. I was pulled out behind a kayak. 🙁
    They let me do the ride and run, even though I was already DNF, but I was so gutted.
    Which is why I have issues with the swim.
    It’s good to know you had it and overcame it.
    I agree with the point of your post. Less than a year ago I was working towards my ambition of running a half marathon.
    Here I am, two days from the full Iron distance!
    Buck.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks.

1. » Ironman Training Irontwit - November 16, 2009

[…] The above needs to be taken in the context of my endurance background. 2009 was my 7th year in triathlon and up to that point I had completed 5 half-ironman races and numerous sprints and Olympic distance events. Add to that a fair few cycle sportives and consistently training through the winter each year (in past years I usually take October as my month off and start training again in November) and you get the picture of someone who has been fairly consistently training in some sort of capacity for a number of years. I would add to that by saying I’m far from being “competitive” in triathlon and I’m pleased if I finish in the top half of the results in any given event. My view is that to go from a non-endurance background to an Ironman in one year is a massive task, and would take a great deal more training than that which I put in. It can be done, but it’s a high risk strategy. I have mused a bit more about this in my post “Could you do an Ironman?” […]

2. » So Ironman is no longer the ultimate challenge? Irontwit - December 11, 2010

[…] while ago I wrote a blog post entitled “Could you do an Ironman?“, and my answer to my own question was, “Almost certainly.” I then set out some […]

3. » Ironman Machismo Irontwit - July 21, 2011

[…] back I wrote a blog post on how I felt that anyone who set their mind to it could complete one (read it here). Obviously I need to qualify that by stating that health issues might make it significantly harder […]

4. » How to choose an Ironman Irontwit - September 1, 2011

[…] people who have just had the ambition and drive to get to the finish line. I’m convinced that anyone who wants to do an Ironman can do so, it just takes the commitment to do so. You are an Ironman – […]