The weather forecast for the Oulton Park Duathlon was truly awful and my waning motivation for racing was being sorely tested. Sure enough, when my alarm went off at 5:45 on Sunday morning all I could hear was the rain drumming down. Staying in bed seemed a better option. That’s it, season ended. But it’s been a good one:
- 3rd fastest time at the Jodrell Bank Sportive (50 mile route) way back in March;
- An enjoyable and reasonably quick performance at the 3 Shires Sportive in April;
- Two successive half-marathon pbs at Wilmslow and Blackpool;
- A half-ironman pb at Bala in June;
- A 2nd Ironman UK, 63 minutes faster than 2009.
There were also some disappointments:
- Illness forced me out of the Fred Whitton Challenge;
- I missed going under 2:30 for an Olympic distance tri, but that was largely down to the weather.
So, despite being a year older, my performances have improved across the board despite having a difficult year for training: bad weather over the winter; smashed bike in late Jan; illness in the spring and a prolonged and stressful house move. On the positive side, having a much better bike seriously improved my cycling performance. I’m hoping that a more settled year will mean better times still in 2011!